Sunday, September 13, 2009

Snackr RSS Ticker

Snackr is a very neat RSS reader that scrolls your feeds at the bottom of your screen. One of the best, and worst, parts of Snackr is that it runs in Adobe Air. Because of this, it has the advantage of being able to run on any OS that Adobe Air can run on, the disadvantage is that it can take more system resources than you'd expect.

The install is exactly like any other application that runs in Adobe Air. As far as your subscriptions, you have the option of adding your feeds individually or importing an OPML feed list, which is a very nice feature if you already have your feeds setup in a RSS reader.


Another great feature, and something that adds a lot of value for me is the ability to not show feeds older than a certain number of days. So I can set this to 1 day and get the most recent information in my ticker at the bottom, and use my regular RSS reader to view older feeds or catch up on ones that I miss.

Other features include the ability to control the scroll speed, keep on top of other windows, and users can place the ticker anywhere you'd like (top, bottom, left, right). You also can minimize to the bottom of the page to get it out of the way while you work on other things.

If you want to view a summary of an article simply click the article and the scrolling will stop and show the preview as below. Click on the view post to view the article in a browser.


Snackr is a very slick program and one thing that I really like is the ability to run it under Windows and Ubuntu. I do find myself not running it quite often as it takes too much in terms of system resources that I need for other software. I think this may have to do with the couple of hundred RSS feeds I imported. If you need a RSS ticker and don't like Firefox add-on tickers, which I don't, this might be for you.